Friday, September 23, 2011

Aletheia Writing Magazine~Review

image

As a member of the Old Schoolhouse Crew I’ve been able to review a interesting writing magazine, written for and by teens.  Aletheia is a quarterly magazine that showcases the writings of Christian teens between the ages of 13-19. 

We are excited to offer Christian teens a healthy platform in which to express themselves, especially in a culture that so definitively shapes and saturates their worldview with unhealthy imagery and values.” From the Publisher

The word Aletheia is Greek and means truth or unveiling.

001

I have a daughter who very much LOVES to read AND write!  I would consider her to be a budding authoress.  You can see that the magazine completely absorbed her attention.

003

The magazine also includes photography and art, poetry and interviews with people in relating fields .  Aletheia is printed in full color on 40 pages nice thick paper. 

image

While I feel the magazine is very professionally done and a great opportunity for other budding authors, I can’t wholeheartedly endorse it.  I am both sensitive and literal, therefore, fantasy and allegory don’t sit well with me, even under the promise of Christian beliefs or values.   This magazine, in my opinion, definitely has a bent and flavor towards this genre. Not all the writings, mind you.  Remember I mentioned being sensitive?  Smile I am well aware that my feelings on this are in the minority, but I still think it bears mentioning.  You can visit the Aletheia website to see how they decide on what will be included in their magazine and if this magazine will be a good fit for your teens to read or contribute to.  And, if you would like to read a back issue, click here.

image

A one year subscription, 4 issues, of Aletheia will cost you $26.00 (shipping and handling included).  You can subscribe here.  If you would like to see what other Crew Members thought, visit the crew blog!  Thanks for reading!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

HSCrew140x180

Disclaimer-I was given 1 issue of this magazine for the purpose of this review.  All opinions expressed are my own, I was not paid.

2 comments:

  1. We liked this magazine in general but agree with you, there are some things that didn't 'set well' will us. I was very glad that we had the other issues to peruse because it gave a broad range of genres to read. I loved the photographs and just now realized I forgot to mention that in my review!
    Very good review, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you are necessarily in the minority. I felt the same way, and many of the other moms did too. I have been reading the reviews of this one, and I think it is at least half so far that are in agreement with you.
    It is always best to say how YOU feel. I know, I feel the same way. I hate to say something negative because I know many others like something. That is how it was with Time 4 Learning. There was a LOT that I didn't like, but I know many others do.

    Anyway, I am always glad when someone speaks the truth. I appreciate it.

    http://trainingchildrenupforchrist.blogspot.com/2011/09/aletheia-writing-magazine-is-christian.html

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!