Thursday, June 21, 2012

Father’s Day

Father’s Day is a strange holiday for us.  My husband doesn’t have a father, his parents were divorced when he was little and his dad had MS so he died when Mr. Taffy was a teenager.  They didn’t have much of a relationship if any.  I love my dad very much, he’s still living, but it’s a complicated relationship, as is any where divorce and remarriage is involved.  When we were first married my husband confided in me that he was afraid to be a father, after all he didn’t have any example what so ever and what details he does know about his father, he’s not interested in mimicking.  But isn’t God amazing?  Somehow He takes the thing that we are most afraid of and makes it our most wonderful accomplishment, our biggest source of joy and our most godly attribute.

We’ve been muddling along on this road called parenting, mostly not knowing what in the world we are doing and mostly just learning as we go.  Just like everybody else I think.  Still, my husband was so blessed this Father’s Day by the love of his children.  I didn’t take nearly enough pictures to do the day justice but here’s a few.

027

The Happy Father’s Day Banner.  Directions here.

016

A whole plate of deviled eggs!  These are his favorite.  He did share a few.  I made these for him.

020

He played many games with his little ones.  He hasn’t had much time to play with them lately so this was a BIG treat for him and them!

024

Strawberry Taffy made him a Rose Bush for dessert.  She combined three different ideas she found on pinterest.

032

He loved this!  He’s always wanting to buy rose bushes for our house, so this was very appropriate.

282690_465950726766035_723550958_n

He and the teens went to a local archery place.  They bought a groupon a while back and really enjoyed their time together.  They all want to go back!

550656_465954103432364_1690936813_n              598472_465953770099064_1564389904_n

Then Strawberry and I made Mr. Taffy a BIG dinner.  She planned the menu, I just helped execute it.  We had these cheesy bacon noodles, chicken breast with butter sauce and peas.

051

(This is how meals are served at my house, I dish everything up on plates and my dinner helper passes them out.  This way everybody gets some food and I know exactly what my little people got served and ate.  This is my big family trick, this insures certain hungry teenagers don’t take more then their fair share.  They dish up there own seconds as they desire.  I do put some things on the table, like a salad or bread, but for the main dishes I always do this. )

054

Mr. Taffy’s Plate.  Not very colorful, but very YUMMY!

The kids gave their dad a new Disc for Father’s Day, so after dinner we went to our local disk golf course and they played through once while I stayed at the playground with the little people.  It was a PERFECT day! 

Give ear, O my people, to my law;
Incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
I will open my mouth in a parable;
I will utter dark sayings of old,
Which we have heard and known,
And our fathers have told us.
We will not hide them from their children,
Telling to the generation to come the praises of the Lord,
And His strength and His wonderful works that He has done.
For He established a testimony in Jacob,
And appointed a law in Israel,
Which He commanded our fathers,
That they should make them known to their children; That the generation to come might know them,
The children who would be born,
That they may arise and declare them to their children,
That they may set their hope in God,
And not forget the works of God,
But keep His commandments; And may not be like their fathers,
A stubborn and rebellious generation,
A generation that did not set its heart aright,
And whose spirit was not faithful to God. Psalm 78: 1-8

The greatest act of Fathering: That they should make the wonderful works of God known to their children, that they would know the commandments, that they may know HIM and stay faithful to Him!  AMEN!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

3 comments:

  1. You guys sure know how to celebrate! It's beautiful! I love the rosebush cake!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely day! We serve dinner the same way. Once in awhile we will place the bowls and platters of food on the table. It just makes life simpler to serve from the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...those cupcakes are gorgeous...very talented!

    Looks like it was a delightful day...

    P.S....Love the apron...smirk!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!