My delightful neighbor loaded me up with Zucchini! So now what do I do with it? Well, I make her Chocolate Zucchini bread of course! It's really more like cake, but we ate it for breakfast anyway! Here's the recipe (slightly adapted):
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
1 cup raw sugar or white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup vegetable oil (or 1 cup of oil and no applesauce)
½ cup applesauce
2 cups finely grated zucchini
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup packed pastry wheat or all purpose flour
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9x5 loaf pans.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until smooth.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, oil, grated zucchini, vanilla, and melted chocolate; beat well.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir chocolate chips into dry mixture to help prevent them from sinking to the bottom.
5. Fold the dry mixture into the large bowl until combined. Pour batter into prepared loaf pans.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
(Can substitute 3 tablespoons of cocoa and 1 tablespoon of butter per square of chocolate.)
Next time I make this I am going to see what happens when I use all applesauce, I bet it will turn out fine! This was so yummy! I didn't have any trouble with the chocolate chips sinking to the bottom. I think you could easily hide chopped dates in this bread too!
I have to get more bakers chocolate this afternoon, but I will be making many, many more loaves of this yummy bread! Enjoy!