Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

It's been cold and wet here, so I've been baking!! It makes me so happy to make yummy things for my family. This recipe comes from the Don't Panic~Dinner's in the Freezer cookbook. Of course I've modified it a little, but I'll give you the original recipe and then tell you how I changed it.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar (I used raw sugar)
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 T. vanilla
2 cups flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
2 1/2 cups oatmeal, powdered (I actually used oat flour. To powder oatmeal, use your blender.)
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
12 oz. chocolate chips (I just dumped a bunch in there.)
4 oz. Hershey Chocolate Bar, Grated (I just used mini milk chocolate chips.)

Makes 4 dozen Cookies
Cream together butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Powder oatmeal by placing in a blender or food processor: combine flour, powdered oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add to butter and sugar mixture and mix well. Add in chocolate chips and grated Hershey bar. Form into golf ball size balls. Bake at 350 degrees on an ungreased cookie sheet for 9-11 minutes. Cool.

Hints
For fresh-baked cookies, cookie balls may be flash frozen on cooking day, then thawed and baked on serving day. ( I made a double batch and froze half this way.)
Store baked cookies in freezer until serving day, as the oatmeal tend to go stale when the cookies are left at room temperature for more than a day. (We don't usually have any cookies left after a day anyway!)

By the way...this is my FAVORITE cookbook! I saw there is a sequel to this one...it's on my "wish" list for one of these days!

Happy Baking!
Mrs. Taffy

2 comments:

  1. Christina (next door)October 15, 2009 at 10:31 AM

    YUM! We love your recipes. Thanks so much for sharing them! We are going to make these today, but one question, why do you powder the oatmeal? I have not heard of doing that before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neighbor!! I think the powdered oatmeal gives the cookie a different texture, it's hard to describe, but it's worth the trouble! Your teeth just sort of sink into the cookies, yum!
    By the way...thanks for bringing the books over, I'm sorry I wasn't here to see you! I kept intending to send you an email...you know how that goes! Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!