Saturday, November 14, 2009

Autumn Apple Coffee Cake

1 egg
1/3 cup sugar (raw, organic or white)
1 cup flour (white or pastry)
1 Tbls. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk
1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal (old-fashioned works as well)
1/2 cup melted butter
4 peeled, sliced apples

Topping:
1/4 c. sugar (whatever kind you like)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg (or apple-pie spice)
2 Tbsp. butter

Beat egg and sugar until creamy. Add flour, baking powder, salt and milk. Mix well. Stir in oatmeal and melted butter. Spread half the batter in an 8 inch greased pan. Arrange apples slices over batter. Spread remaining batter over apple slices.
Combine topping ingredients, cutting in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until done.

Obviously I doubled this. (When doubling the apples, I only used 5 though, not 8) Apples are pretty affordable in stores right now, so this is a yummy treat for a breakfast meal. Mr. Taffy liked it so much he had 3 pieces! Delicious with a hot cup of coffee or cold milk!

In the Spirit of Proverbs 31: 15,
Mrs. Taffy

7 comments:

  1. Yum yum yummy!! Guess what we're making tomorrow morning?!?!?! Lots of love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks good! My parents would probally like that!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummm..... That was SO good!!
    Strawberry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looked so good we couldn't wait for breakfast so we had it for an after lunch treat. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...I can smell it! Would go so wonderful with coffee...and your whipped cream!
    Hugs,
    Mrs. Griffin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I found it. lol This is the recipie I was asking you about earlier. Is there any chance you remember what to do with that 1/2 cup melted butter? I just add it to the batter and the girls LOVE it! But I've always been curious if I was doing it right. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I fixed it! Thanks Laura! You were doing it correctly all along! The recipe actually calls for melted shortening, but I changed it to butter, sometimes in changing the recipes I get the directions confused! Glad you like it though!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!