Monday, March 22, 2010

Beans, Beans the Musical Fruit...

I love beans. Long ago, when I was on W.I.C., they would give me beans. I would look at those cute bags of beans and say, "hmmm..." I didn't really know what to do with them. Often I just wouldn't purchase them with my vouchers because I didn't want to waste them. But now...now, I love beans. When I was taking these pictures, Blue-Raspberry came in to the kitchen and said, "Mom, are they just so beautiful?" He loves beans too. All my children do. And I don't think it's because I'm exactly a good bean-cook or anything, I just think my attitude is contagious. I like to gush over the colors and health benefits of beans. When we have a beany sort of dish, I go on and on about how cool it is that something that started out as a vegetable has become a protein! Isn't God amazing!?
These are our beans soaking for tomorrow night's dinner. I don't have pictures, but I thought I could share a couple bean recipes, in case you have some bags of beans in your cupboard that you aren't sure what to do with.
Black-Eyed Pea & Chicken Stew
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup chopped shallots (I'll just use garlic and onions usually)
1 pound of boneless chicken breast, cut in 1/4-1 1/2 inch strips
1/2 cup flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. dried rosemary leaves
1 tsp. dried tarragon leaves
1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
3 cups chicken stock or chicken broth
3 cups cooked black-eyed peas
1/2 cup water
2 tsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. lemon juice
salt, to taste
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onions or shallots, cook, stirring until tender. Meanwhile dredge the chicken in flour and shake off excess.
2. Add chicken and herbs to oil and cook, stirring until chicken is golden. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
3. Add carrots to skillet and cook for 1 minute. Stir in stock and peas. Stir together water and cornstarch and lemon juice and add it to the stock. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
4. Return chicken to pan to heat through, and season with salt and pepper.
I like to serve this with cornbread. It's delicious, filling and nutritious. That is what we are having for dinner tomorrow night! YUM!
Here's my favorite bean cook book. This book has tons of recipes and techniques for cooking beans. We've liked everything we've tried out of here.
Honduras Burritos:
I always make this in the crock pot:
left over turkey or chicken
2 cups of dried beans (doesn't matter what kind-mix them up!)
Add water until beans are well covered. Add 3 bay leaves and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook on high, stirring occasionally until is soft and delicious. If it's getting close to serving time and you think it's too soupy, add the brown rice right into the crock pot.
I also like to add onions and garlic to this and if I have chicken broth, I'll use that instead of plain water.
I like to serve this with brown rice on a tortilla-with cheese and sour cream. Wrap it up burrito style and serve! I've made this several times for company because it's delicious and cheap and easy to make. Just don't forget to take the bay leaf out before you serve it!
Hope I've inspired you to use those beans you have sitting in your cupboard!
Joyfully,
Mrs. Taffy

5 comments:

  1. I don't know why you end up in my dreams. So much more than my other friends. Funny!!

    The one I had last night was quite short and not much of a "story line". All I remember was that you had a TV show sorta like the Duggars called "My Life on A Taffy Pull" and you were getting royalties from it. (nice huh?) Oh, and this was the reason why you had to name your blog this particular name since the show was called this very name.

    Hey, maybe you will have a show or book one day and collect all those royalties for the rest of your life....Yay!!

    Beans.....

    I had some last night. I have a wonderful black beans recipe (cuban style) yummy. This book looks great. I am curious as to how different beans taste. I thought beans can be made in only 4 different ways....hispanic, country (with the ham hocks), barb q, and plain old earthy flavored beans (the kind you would have at an earthy foods restaurant) LOL But I guess I'm wrong.....there are plenty of ways.

    BTW....I love your pretty jars in your pantry.....

    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the bean recipes! Most of our dinners our cooked in the crock pot due to the boys swim schedule and beans are a large part of those dinners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I like beans just not limabeans. Didn't know beans could be pretty. But you can make anythink pretty. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for these 2 recipes. I just added them to my recipe book and look forward to trying them out. Hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!