Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sunday Morning Cinnamon Rolls

Sunday Morning Cinnamon Rolls 013

This is one of my favorite cookbooks. The recipes in here don’t contain anything I can’t find, except maybe an elephant… My family has loved everything I’ve made from it. Amish aren’t known for their exotic flavors, so these recipes are fairly easy to add your own special touch too.

Sunday Morning Cinnamon Rolls 001 Since we had our fellowship/church last night, I thought it would be fun to bless my family with Sunday Morning Cinnamon Rolls.

Here’s what you need:

1/2 cup sugar (organic evaporated cane juice if you have it)

1/2 cup shortening (you can use softened butter as well, I used organic shortening)

1 1/2 tsp. Salt

1 cup milk, scalded

1 cup lukewarm water

2 pkgs. dry yeast ( I used 2 tbsp. bulk yeast)

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 tsp. nutmeg (optional-but very tasty!)

7 cups flour (I used unhealthy white, but I have used wheat with this recipe in the past or half and half)

Filling:

6 Tbsp. melted butter

1 1/2 cups brown sugar

1 Tbsp. cinnamon

1 cup raisins (optional)

1. In a large bowl, combine sugar, shortening and salt. Scald milk and pour over shortening mixture.

2. Combine yeast and warm water and set aside to dissolve.

3. When milk mixture has cooled, add beaten eggs, dissolved yeast and nutmeg. Beat well.Sunday Morning Cinnamon Rolls 002

4. Gradually add flour, beating well. After about 5 cups, I changed implements and used the dough hook. Set the timer for 5 minutes and let the kitchen aide do all the hard work of kneading the dough!

5. Set dough in a greased bowl, cover and allow to double. Recipe says it takes 2 hours, but I only gave it 45 minutes.

Sunday Morning Cinnamon Rolls 004

Sunday Morning Cinnamon Rolls 005 5. Divide dough in half. Roll each piece into rectangles, about 1/4” inch thick. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar mixture. Roll up like a jelly roll and cut slices 1/2” thick.

6. Place slices 1” apart on greased baking pans. Let rise for about an hour. I think it only took 20 minutes actually.

Sunday Morning Cinnamon Rolls 006 7. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

8. Frost with a powdered sugar glaze if desired.

Sunday Morning Cinnamon Rolls 007

9. Enjoy all the joyful sounds of your children’s thanks and your husband’s praise and the quiet that follows because everybody is too busy eating to talk! Yum Yum!

Sunday Morning Cinnamon Rolls 011 Sunday Morning Cinnamon Rolls 010

Happy Sunday!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

4 comments:

  1. UMMMM that looks like a glorious experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your yummy recipe!! I'm definitely going to make these one day soon!!
    ~Nanette
    Fellow TOS Crew Member

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, those look so good! :) We love cinnamon rolls in our house and they are one of my fav. things to make. I will have to try your recipe sometime. :) Thanks for sharing!
    God bless!
    For Christ and for His glory alone,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be trying these soon, but Pillsbury will miss me.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!