Monday, August 16, 2010

Blueberry Bars & Peach Processing

meal_organizer_new

This is our new favorite recipe!  I bought a whole cookbook dedicated to berry’s last summer at a garage sale.  I’ve changed up the recipe somewhat and we love it!

1/2 cup butter-softened

3/4 cup raw or organic sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

3/4 cup milk

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup rolled oats

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. nutmeg (optional)

1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, dusted with flour

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 cup powdered sugar

3-4 tsp. milk  ( I think it would taste really good if you used lemon juice instead of milk too!  I’m going to try that next time.)

Cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs and beat well.  Stir in vanilla and milk.  Mix well.  Add flour, oats, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, mixing well.  Add flour-coated blueberries and stir gently.  Pour batter into a greased 9x9 pan.  Sprinkle with brown sugar.  Bake at 325 for 30-40 minutes.  Create topping by mixing powdered sugar and milk until smooth.  Drizzle on bars either when they are cooled or still warm.  YUM!

014

Before they go into the oven.

019 020

Right out of the oven and with the drizzle.

I made these today, to eat after lunch because I thought my dad was going to be here.  He’s expected sometime today, but I’m not exactly sure when.   We ate ours after lunch, but I saved him a good sized piece!

The other thing I’ve been working on today is processing all those peaches I bought last week.  They were fully ripe this morning and smelled great!   I wasn’t in the mood to can them, that requires so much sugar anyway.  So instead I decided to freeze them.

016

I washed them and sliced them up and laid them out on a cookie sheet.  Then I stuck the trays in our big freezer.  In a couple hours they were frozen hard and packed up.

017

I can use these peaches for cake and smoothies and fruit salad through the year.  The other thing I did with a bunch of peaches is dehydrate them!

018

These are going to take a while, but they will be so yummy!  And you bet my house smells great with the aroma of drying peaches floating through on the breeze!

Happy Homemaking!

Mrs. Taffy

6 comments:

  1. Ooooh- that sounds delicious!!!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also can peaches in 100% white grape juice if you have a pressure canner!

    The blueberry bars look yummmy...I think I'll be trying them in the very near future :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've left you an award over at my blog:
    http://ourbusyhomeschool.blogspot.com/2010/08/for-little-old-me-really.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are always making yummy desserts. Ok....I gotta ask....how do you all not gain weight with all those yummy homemade goodies. You must be very careful how much you eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris! You think too highly of me! Who says I don't gain weight! lol The only benefit is that I have all these children who eat it too, so there's really not that much for me to eat personally! I love to bake and I'm a "praise-junkie," I love to hear my children thank me for the delicious whatever, it's very carnal, I know! lol

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!