Thursday, August 12, 2010

Peach Long Cake

peaches 002

This is such a yummy thing to make if you happen to have some fresh peaches around.  This comes from my favorite Amish cookbook—snazzed up a little.

Peach Long Cake

4 cups peaches, sliced & 1/2 cup organic sugar (evaporated cane juice)

Dough-

2 cups flour (whole wheat pastry flour)

4 tsp. baking powder

6 Tbsp. organic sugar

3/4 tsp. salt

1/3 cup shortening (organic non-hydrogenated)

1 large egg, beaten

2/3 cup milk

1.  Sprinkle sugar over sliced peaches.  Set aside.  (I left the skins on)

peaches 001

2. Sift Flour.  Add baking powder, sugar and salt.  Cut in shortening (I have used butter in the past).  Add egg and milk, stir until well moistened.  Spread dough into a well-greased 9x13 pan.  Arrange peach slices over dough.

peaches 004

Topping-

1/4 cup margarine (I used butter)

1/4 sugar

3 Tbsp. flour

1. Cream together all ingredients.  Drop by spoonfuls over peaches.

peaches 005

2. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.  Serve warm with milk or whipped cream.

This is what it looks like when it’s all done.

peaches 006

This is what is looked like when I served it!

peaches 008

I made the whip cream with organic whipping cream and a tsp. of vanilla and a tbsp. sugar.  Then I sprinkled cinnamon sugar on top!  Like the Christmas plate?  I have a bunch of Christmas dessert dishes that I use all year because I like the size.  :o)

If you decide to try it, I hope you love it as much as we do!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed looking at your large family. We have four, but seeing your blog just reignited my desire for a large family. My husband is working two jobs to make ends meet and we just don't know how we could possibly care for another child :( Maybe one day...but I am getting old and my dh is 10 years OLDER than me!! lol!
    Just doing the blog walk thing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks good! It reminds me o the apricot "pie" I made recently, with the batter on the bottom, the fruit strewn about the top. Easy and delicious. I don't think peaches are in season here yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH yum!! I think we'll have to go find some peaches next week. lol Thank you so much for sharing all your wonderful recipies. You're the only recipie resource I know that my family is guaranteed to enjoy!! Much better than a lot of cookbooks. lol

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!