Wednesday, September 29, 2010

“You gotta eat your Spinach Baby”

Do you like Shirley Temple?  Ever seen Rebecca of Sunny Brook Farms and the annoying little girl who sings the spinach song?  Cracks me up, and every time I eat spinach I think about that song!

012

When I found out that I am slightly anemic I went on a hunt to figure out how to get my iron up (and hopefully my energy) without taking a bunch of iron supplements.  I have a wonderful Aunt who is a Natropath by trade so I asked her for advice first.  This what she recommended:

GREEN SMOOTHIES w/Whey Protein Powder

and B-12.

001 003

I found both of these at Trader Joe’s.  She also said rice protein powder would work—but NO SOY!  I’m not putting the B-12 in my smoothie, they go under the tongue, I’ve been taking one in the morning and one in the evening along with my prenatal vitamins.

What’s a GREEN SMOOTHIE?  Basically spinach and fruit, thus the reason for the title.  :o)  Another important thing she said, take some vitamin C with the iron (green smoothie) for better absorption.  So this is what I have been doing:

013

014

I took spinach (iron), peaches (vitamin C) 1/2 banana, a scoop of protein powder (iron), Kefir (you could also use yogurt without artificial sweeteners or water or milk) and piled them in my Magic Bullet.

011This picture is before I dumped the Kefir in there.  This is what it looked like all mixed up.  I think I actually put some more spinach in there before I mixed it up.

016 

Wah Lah!  A GREEN SMOOTHIE!  It tasted great!  The protein powder is vanilla flavored, so that’s pretty much what the smoothie tasted like.  I’ve been making myself 1 each day before lunch (mid-morning).  I think it’s too soon to tell if my iron is getting any better, but I’m hopeful!

So if your having some iron issues like I am, just remember:

“You gotta eat your spinach baby, that the only thing to do.  It’ll keep you kinda healthy too.  And what it did for Popeye it will do for you!”

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

5 comments:

  1. I hope this helps! I used an herbal pregnancy tea with my last four babies. My fifth pregnancy, also the first one I took red raspberry leaf during, was the first pregnancy that I was not anemic. Nutrition can work wonders!

    Best wishes for a super healthy pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I'll forward it to Aunt J. She'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really neat! :) The "Spinach Song" is iconic in our house. :)
    Have you every used Kefir Grains to make your own kefir? We have done it for a while and it's super easy. We usually use it in smoothies because it's so healthy and it adds tang. It's also great as a buttermilk substitute. :)
    Been praying for you!
    Christ be with you!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. My all-time favorite ST movie! And that song! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noticed you got the B-12. It did help me when I took it. I also loved making green smoothies...even though for some reason with my last pregnancy I couldn't stomach anything healthy. Seriously... It was rather odd. Thank God I felt good though and she came out healthy. ha ha!!

    I've miss coming on here. I had to sneak away for a bit. It such a nice day here today down south and feeling the fall coming.. Still hot though don't get me wrong.

    I will have to do another post about my husband business and the happenings on this. No money yet...so life has been a bit challenging. It's ok though God is still keeping us in His hands.

    Sending all my love and hugs to all of you. :)

    Chris xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!