Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Cheeseburger Buns


025


Yum! Here’s another family favorite to share with you! These Cheeseburger Buns are wholesome and hearty and fill the bellies of the hungriest teenagers and the pickiest 2 year olds!

Here’s what you need:


Filling:

1 1/2 pounds of ground beef

chopped onions (I use dehydrated because we are still eating our way through all that Y2K food we were blessed with :))-to taste

minced garlic-to taste

1 can of tomato soup

Sharp Cheddar Cheese-sliced


Bread:

2 packages or 2 tbsp. yeast

2 cups warm water

1/3 cup vegetable oil, olive oil or melted butter

6 tbsp. raw sugar or honey or pure maple syrup or molasses

2 tsp. salt

4 cups whole wheat flour

2-3 cups white flour


To make filling:


Brown ground beef with garlic and onion until done. Drain. Stir in can of tomato soup. Set aside to cool.


014


To make bread:


In your kitchen aide dissolve yeast in water. Add oil, sugar, salt and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Change to your dough hook and add enough white flour to form a soft dough. Allow to knead for 6 minutes.

012

Set dough to rest on a cutting board and cover with a towel.


015

I let mine rise for about 30 minutes. Then you divide the dough: in half once, and those halves in half and so on until to you have 16 equal size pieces of dough.

Roll out dough balls one at a time and lay some cheese in the center of the flattened roll.


018

Add a spoonful of meat mixture.


019


Close up the dough around the meat, getting a nice seal.

020


Lay dough, seam side down, on a greased cookie sheet.


022

Once you have finished filling all the rolls, cover with a cloth and let rise 30-45 minutes. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes until they are lovely golden brown.


025



Here’s what they look like inside.


026

I always cut Laffy Taffy’s in half because they are pretty hot inside. We had ours with oven-baked French fries and apples from the orchard. I also like to serve these with mashed potatoes and salad. The bread recipe is just a really versatile roll recipe that I use all the time and it makes great dinner rolls as well.

Enjoy!

Mrs. Taffy

9 comments:

  1. Next time I visit I want to watch you make these - and eat some! Looks delicious. What a lucky family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great meal idea. I'll have to show this to my cooks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think these would freeze well? If so, would you freeze them before or after you bake them? They look yummy! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is what's for lunch at our house today. :) We have to be in town when hubby comes home - we have our big meal from 2-3 during his "lunch" I hope to time it right that they will be hot and waiting for him in the oven when he gets home. ;) we have to be at the library at 1:30.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I can't wait to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda, I haven't tried freezing them, but I bet you could! I would freeze them after they baked and cooled completely. The trick is probably going to be to not let them get too dry when reheating in the oven, maybe wrap in tin foil? I NEVER have leftovers, though I know my husband would LOVE to have these in his lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look amazingly tasty and a great Friday night treat! Thanks for sharing the recipe, we will be trying these soon.

    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks really yummy. I am going to try making it using the frozen rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry, that was me, aunt claudia. I forgot it was anonymous...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!