Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Cranberry Upside Down Cake

001

I was on the Family Fun website yesterday looking for something in particular and I found this instead!  YUM!  It’s not fussy, not too many ingredients and it looks  and tastes lovely!

Here’s the recipe (changed up a bit as usual):

6 Tbsp. butter, softened

2 cups fresh or frozen whole cranberries

1/2  cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 cup raw or organic sugar

2 eggs

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 1/4 cup fresh ground pastry flour (you can use all-purpose flour too)

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. cinnamon

3/4 cup buttermilk

1.  Heat the oven to 350.  Melt 2 tbsp. of butter and pour into a 9-inch spring form pan.

2.  In a mixing bowl, combine the cranberries and brown sugar, then scatter mixture atop the butter.

3.  Cream the remaining 4 tbsp. of butter and the sugar, add eggs one at a time and beat in vanilla.

4.  Combine the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon in a small bowl and stir well.  Beat a third of the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture, followed by half of the buttermilk.  Continue alternating in this way until you’ve beaten in the last of the dry ingredients.  Spoon or pour batter evenly over the cranberries.

5.  Bake the cake until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes.  Let it cool for 5 minutes, then invert cake onto a serving platter and remove the pan. 

005

I think my baking powder might be bad…the muffins I made this morning didn’t get very tall and neither did this cake!  Still, it was delicious!  I served it with a little whip cream and cinnamon sugar sprinkled on the whip cream.  The only person who didn’t like it was my husband…Sad smile  He doesn’t appreciate cranberries, but ALL the children adored it!

Enjoy!

Mrs. Taffy

3 comments:

  1. My husband LOVES cranberries! What kind of pan did you bake it in?

    I'm going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know what a spring-form pan is? I always think of them as cheese cake pans. The bottom seperates from the sides. The brown sugar makes sort of a carmel top, so don't know how it would do in a regular round cake pan...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely cake, I'm going to try it! AND Happy Birthday to Laffy Taffy! I can't believe he is 3!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!