I was on the Family Fun website yesterday looking for something in particular and I found this instead! YUM! It’s not fussy, not too many ingredients and it looks and tastes lovely!
Here’s the recipe (changed up a bit as usual):
6 Tbsp. butter, softened
2 cups fresh or frozen whole cranberries
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup raw or organic sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup fresh ground pastry flour (you can use all-purpose flour too)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup buttermilk
1. Heat the oven to 350. Melt 2 tbsp. of butter and pour into a 9-inch spring form pan.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the cranberries and brown sugar, then scatter mixture atop the butter.
3. Cream the remaining 4 tbsp. of butter and the sugar, add eggs one at a time and beat in vanilla.
4. Combine the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon in a small bowl and stir well. Beat a third of the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture, followed by half of the buttermilk. Continue alternating in this way until you’ve beaten in the last of the dry ingredients. Spoon or pour batter evenly over the cranberries.
5. Bake the cake until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Let it cool for 5 minutes, then invert cake onto a serving platter and remove the pan.
I think my baking powder might be bad…the muffins I made this morning didn’t get very tall and neither did this cake! Still, it was delicious! I served it with a little whip cream and cinnamon sugar sprinkled on the whip cream. The only person who didn’t like it was my husband… He doesn’t appreciate cranberries, but ALL the children adored it!