Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Write Foundation-Review

HSCrew140x180

As part of the Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew I was given The Write Foundation writing curriculum to review.

The Write Foundation
Basic Structured Creative Formal

image

Have a struggling writer?

Does your student just need to learn how to write?

Long for teacher-friendly lesson plans you can quickly prepare and teach?

Desire a writing curriculum your children will enjoy while learning creatively?

Complete Lesson Plans: Minimize Preparation

Easy-To-Use Format: Minimize Hassle

Organization for Writing: Don't Reinvent the Wheel

Checklists & Guidelines: Simplifies Instruction

Brainstorm & Outline Forms: Teaches Process

Creative, Descriptive, Formal: Learn a Variety of Styles

I reviewed the set designed to teach children how to turn a sentence into an essay. There are 30 lesson that can be used to cover a year’s worth of writing or easily expanded to cover two years. Age recommendation: 14-17

Initially when I got the writing curriculum I was so excited to get started. I carefully gathered all the materials: highlighters, binders with dividers, Mind Benders Thinking Activities. When I sat down to actually start teaching it though I was completely confused. While the description says, “complete lesson plans” I honestly couldn’t figure out what we were supposed to do day by day. Granted, I am not a professional teacher and that may have had something to do with it. My children did enjoy the Mind Benders though and I very much loved the “no list” that simply lists the things to avoid when writing an essay. I also appreciate the author using Bible passages for examples.

Just because I couldn’t figure it out doesn’t mean you can’t. To read what other crew members thought about this writing curriculum check out the crew blog.

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

Disclosure: This writing curriculum was given to me for the sole purpose of this review. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not paid!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!