Friday, April 8, 2011

Science Weekly~Review

image

As part of the Old Schoolhouse Review Crew I was given 1 installation of Science Weekly, grades K-6 to review.

image

Science Weekly is a subscription, that comes to your home 15 times during the year.  When you subscribe to Science Weekly, you chose which levels you would like to receive.

  • Level Pre-A-Kindergarten
  • Level A- 1st Grade
  • Level B-2nd Grade
  • Level C-3rd Grade
  • Level D-4th Grade
  • Level E-5th/6th Grade

The Topic of our sample was composting, other topics for the 2011 year include:

  • Scuba Diving
  • Poisonous Animals
  • Caves
  • Teeth
  • Deserts
  • Green Buildings
  • The Moon

Each Science Weekly is a 4 page hand’s on activity guide complete with vocabulary, labs, math, storytelling or writing and more depending on what grade level you choose.  You will also receive Teaching Notes and answers  to the questions in the children’s guides.  Each unit is designed to last a week, but the composting unit would overlap into other units if you did the lab for 6 weeks like the guide suggests.

image

Personally, while I generally like the idea of this little science magazine as a fun way to introduce new topics and concepts, this type of subscription wouldn’t be something I would chose for my children at this time.  I think it would be great fun for the children to get their science in the mail, but knowing how I am, I think it would be difficult for me to figure out when and how to teach each unit that comes.    This isn’t something that Blue-Raspberry or Bubble Gum would be able to do independently at this point, though that would change in a few years.  Also, I couldn’t tell if this science is taught based on Young earth or Old earth beliefs, evolution or creation.  As I read through the samples given to me and the ones on-line I think they are pretty neutral to the point, but I can’t endorse it one way or the other because  I couldn’t find specific information in that regard.

You can see some sample issues here.  There are also coloring pages that go along with some of the issues, you can look at those here.  On this page you can view some of their interactive subjects, which are pretty fun if I do say so myself!

A subscription to Science Weekly is $19.95 per year, per student with a 10% shipping and handling fee, so if I wanted to subscribe for Blue-Raspberry and Bubble Gum it would cost me approximately $43.89. 

To see what other Crew Members thought, visit the Old Schoolhouse Blog!

HSCrew140x180

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

Disclaimer:  As part of the Old Schoolhouse homeschool crew, I was given this installation of Science Weekly for free, in exchange for my honest opinion.  I was not paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!