Saturday, June 11, 2011

Mid-June Garden Update

Everything is growing very well in our garden.  We had some torrential rains blow through here right after we planted the seeds and I was pretty sure that all the seeds had washed away.  To my delight, there are still plenty there!002

Asparagus, we just planted this this year, so that’s why it looks like that.  It’s a funny looking plant.  I think there are 6 in there, maybe 4.

003

This is the side garden entrance, through the “orchard.”

006

Bush Beans.  We bought these as plants, but we also planted a bunch of bean seeds along the fence there.

007

Potatoes.  We planted the front box first and the back box a couple weeks later.  They are starting to poke through in the back box.  As soon as they get a bit larger we’ll cover the dirt with hay.

005

Peas

009

Our strawberries are about to explode!

008

There’s a few renegade potatoes in the squash bed.  Apparently we missed a few when we were digging them up last year. 

012

Strawberry and Chocolate planted the marigolds for me.  They are still in transplant shock, but should perk up soon.

014

Look at this amazing grape tomato plant.  It’s going to give me a ton of salad tomatoes!

015

We found the grapes we want to buy to grow over the entry trellis.  We haven’t found a trellis yet though.  Mr. Taffy bought a couple Groupon’s for a local nursery so we were able to buy a couple older rhubarb plants and some pumpkin starts, ours didn’t take.  We also found artic kiwi at Lowe’s, 1 male and 2 female.  I am so excited about this!  We haven’t planted them yet.  You’ll get to see them in my next garden post!

So happy to be able to grow some of our own food!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

6 comments:

  1. Everything looks so good! Home grown potatoes are the absolute best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a super garden! Enjoy all that is brings to you!

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how pretty and organized your garden looks. I'm interested in hearing how the kiwi do and taste! I've thought about trying them here but I've never seen them for sale locally. Oh, and your signs are so cute!

    My linky post is up and waiting, hint, hint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a beautiful garden! I love the picket fence and the little signs!

    I'm visiting from The Garden Path link-up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is just beautiful. I love the picket fence! I'm visiting from Briana's 'The Garden Path'. It' is so interesting to see gardens in various parts of the U.S. and the different things we are growing. Kiwi? How fun to be able to grow Kiwi - I'd love to know how that goes!
    Thanks for your comment on my blog - I have the garden with peanuts - so in answer to your question: I live in East Texas, but I don't know if the peanuts will work or not. My last crop rotted in the ground because it is so humid here. In West Texas though - they are a cash crop (it's much dryer there). My County Agent says it's hard to grow them in our area - but I can't resist a challenge (or homemade Peanut Butter!)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!