Sunday, December 11, 2011

Playing with Fractions~Review

Photobucket

Photobucket

Fractazmic is  a 2-4 player game that uses math and language skills. The object of Fractazmic trap is to gather as many hands as possible before the first player runs out of cards. Hands are captured by either (1) playing a card that brings the sum of all cards thrown to 1 or (2) forcing the next player to throw a card that brings the sum to greater than 1. If any of these events occur – the player captures the round and is the first to start the next round.

  • Each card clearly numbered
  • Each card clearly labeled with the fraction and reinforcing graphic (from the website)

Photobucket

005

Fractazmic is designed for ages 1st through 4th Grade.  Looking at the cards and the directions I KNEW without a shadow of a doubt that my 1st grader would NOT understand how to play this game.  I wasn’t sure my 3rd grader could either!  Thankfully my 3rd grader is pretty bright so it didn’t take him long to catch on, but he needed a cheat sheet to help him initially.

007

That’s my 15 year old, who is in college, explaining to the 3rd grader how to play.  It even took him a while to figure out how the 3rd grader was going to understand it.  You really have to be able to add fractions in your head, quickly, unless you have a cheat sheet to look at until your memorize how it works.

011

See, even my 9th grader need a piece of scratch paper to help her!  It’s a little tricky, but I think once the concept is understood it’s a great way reinforce fractions, especially around 7th grade when fractions are taught more in depth .

012

Fractazmic sells for $6.95 for 60 cards.  It’s a great price for a game that could really reinforce fractions, especially if you have a child who either really likes playing games or really hates fractions.  I just don’t think it’s realistic to say a 1st or 2nd grader can play…unless of course they are very gifted in math!

To see what my other Crew Mates thought, visit the Crew Blog!

HSCrew140x180

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

Disclaimer-I was given this card game to review in exchange for my honest review, I was not paid.

1 comment:

  1. Cute photo of Marshmallow on the left!!! It looks like the images on the game cards would be good for understanding how 1/10 is smaller than 1/4 -- that is hard for some people (me).

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!