Monday, September 10, 2012

Wordsmith~Review

logo

I love to write!  I’ve always loved to write.  When I was younger I looked forward to writing in my journal everyday. For fun, my girlfriends and I would spend hours writing each other stories to read.  Sadly, I don’t have time to write as often as I like too, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t want to encourage my children to write for pleasure!  Enter Wordsmith Apprentice.

image

Wordsmith Apprentice is a self-directed writing program for children in grades 4-6.  I’ve reviewed writing material before but I have to whole-heartedly agree with this description, it truly is self-directed.

002

Initially I had to help by reading the directions orally to Blue-Raspberry, he tends to skim and miss many important bits of information.  Now that he’s been using it for a month I have to say that I don’t do much but encourage him and cheer him on.

There are only three parts to the book, but each part is broken down into small assignments.  I let Blue-Raspberry decide how many he wants to do.  He usually choses one, but some day's he choses two.  At the end of each assignment is a spot for him to date his work.

003

This is the first book he pulls out each morning when we start homeschooling!  His spelling is atrocious, but he enjoys the topics covered in the assignments and NEVER feels like he is being asked to do something he can’t do.  He’s hooked by the topics and enjoys using his imagination to write. This book has never made him cry!  As I mentioned before, I have reviewed other writing curriculum and hand’s down this is my favorite because of the ease of teaching.  It lines up well with my goals to nurture independent learners and I love the enthusiasm that Blue-Raspberry has about the program!

image            image

Now, besides the Wordsmith Apprentice for my 4th grader, I was also given Wordsmith for my 10th grader.  Wordsmith is a creative writing course for 7-9th graders.  This program wasn’t a good fit for my budding authoress Strawberry.  She loves to write, but felt that this book was too easy.  I guess that’s not a bad problem to have. It didn’t hold her attention or challenge her enough.  One good thing about all of the books that Timberdoodle sells in this same series is the cost.  They are low-cost books!  So the risk is minimal if you want to try them out.  I won’t hesitate to use the next book for Blue-Raspberry, he LOVES the assignments and looks forward to writing every day now!

I can’t say enough good things about Timberdoodle, they are top-notch and I always trust their recommendations.  If you haven’t checked them out, I encourage you to do so!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

Disclosure-I was given a copy of Wordsmith Apprentice and Wordsmith for the sole purpose of this review.  All opinions are my own and I was not paid.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting! Writing is one of the most important things your students can learn to feel comfortable with. This sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on this! My oldest is in 8th grade right now, but we are trying to get a jump start on what materials/resources/curricula we are going to use for next year when he starts high school. I've been checking out blogs like yours (I googled "high school homeschool" and found you!) and sites like LetsHomeschoolHighschool.com, for resources and encouragement. My son enjoys writing creatively, so I'm very interested in looking into Wordsmith (at first glance, I was *very* pleased to see it looks affordable!).

    Again, thanks for sharing!

    Btw...I love reading blogs, and I've always enjoyed seeing how parents "name" themselves and their children to protect their privacy. I have to say that your "Taffys" are fabulous! :D

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking about you! Just wanted you to know you are missed! :) Hope this lovely fall weather is treating you and yours well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! Not sure what's up with me...just haven't been able to get myself to write anything...I've been thinking about you too and hope you are enjoying your new baby!!

      Delete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!