Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Food

It seems my existence revolves around food.  Whether it’s eating it or preparing it for somebody else, it’s always in my forethoughts.  What shall we eat next?  What can I do to keep everybody eating their veggies?  How can I keep loosing weight?  What’s for dinner?  Jesus said not to worry about what we will eat or drink, but rather we should trust God, who knows we need these things.  I’ve been trying to take that approach and let my food prep be more spirit-led if you will.  I still make grocery lists and I still plan ahead (at least weekly) but I try to keep some things unplanned, so I can practice NOT worrying, instead I practice listening and letting the Holy Spirit inspire me.  It’s kind of fun, because surprisingly, He always gives me a good idea!  Always!

003

We joined a CSA this year.  That stands for Community Supported Agriculture.  Every week we get a gorgeous box full of organic, locally grown veggies and sometimes fruit.  It has been a tremendous blessing!  I don’t always know what to do with the bounty I get, but I’m learning!

002

Roasted CSA veggies with butter and seasonings.  Scrumptious!

20130902_185733

I’ve got tomatoes coming out of my ears!  I find them in my CSA box, in my own garden and my neighbor brings them over!  So I decided to dehydrate some.  I read that I can pulverize them and use the powder to make tomato sauce and tomato paste.  They turned out so pretty that I might just keep them this way.

009

022

Besides tomatoes, I’ve been dehydrating apples, nectarines and pears.  I find dehydrating to be the easiest way (besides freezing) to preserve food.  No sugar is needed and I can just keep everything right in my big pantry.

IMG_20130825_153531

023

I’ve also been freezing onions, peppers and berries.  Squash season is starting, my absolute favorite!

20130826_180256

Bless the Lord , O my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul and forget not all his benefits; who forgives all your iniquities, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from destruction, who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies, who satisfies your mouth with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagles. Psalm 103: 1-5

He forgives, heals, redeems, crowns and feeds us! 

Bless the Lord, O my soul!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

8 comments:

  1. There is nothing like summer and all of the FRESH fruits and veggies, is there? I found myself making a similar "scrumptious" sauteed veggie assortment the other day with a blessing of fresh veggies from my mom! Potatoes, onions, zucchini, red peppers, and green peppers. Yum! Then we had fresh sweet corn another day...somehow it all just tastes different from what you buy at the grocery store. I had similar thankful thoughts and ideas about how wonderful it is this time of year and how awesome it is to feed the family fresh, local, organic veggies. :) God bless friend, and good job on feeding your family so wonderfully and lovingly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on food. I do have a love/hate relationship with it sometimes, mainly the planning. But you do get better and better at making something interesting out of what you have on hand. Exercise and nutrition for your brain. Those tomatoes look wonderful. I'm surprised they come out so red!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next to growing your own healthy veggies, nothing beats a CSA! I know what you mean though, because I've had some trouble figuring out how to prepare some of the things I get in my CSA box. But it's been great for introducing the kids to new foods and broadening our "food horizons" a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. I'm visiting from the LetsHomeschoolHighschool blogroll.

    I've been thinking about joining a CSA. We live in South Florida. I've tried growing my own veggies, but I kill everything I try to grow. :(
    I borrowed a dehydrating machine from a friend. I tried dehydrating some fruit, but it took forever. It was so much work! And in the end, it wasn't very good. Maybe I didn't do it right. hmmm. I wonder what machine you use and how long it takes. It all looks so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missing your posts, Mrs. Taffy!!! :) Hoping that all is well with your sweet family and also wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

    Hope to hear from you again soon! You're always such an encouragement! God Bless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoping I haven't missed your switch from blogger and hoping that all is well with you and your family. Your blog truly blesses me.
    Krystal

    ReplyDelete
  7. Missing your blog!!!!! Jamie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think about you frequently and I pray that everything is going ok. I hope you update us when you get a moment!

    Kalani

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!