Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Chocolate Syrup

Chocolate Syrup
1 Cup Cocoa powder, unsweetened
2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups water
1 Tbls. vanilla

In a 1-quart saucepan, combine the cocoa, sugar, and salt. Mix together until no cocoa lumps remain. Add the water, and stir. Place over medium heat, and stir occasionally until the sugar is dissolved (but do not boil), then remove from heat. Stir in vanilla once the syrup is cool.

Store in a covered jar in the refrigerator for 2-3 months. It will become very thick when it's cold, but thins when reheated (use low heat and stir constantly). This can be stored at room temperature for one month.

Use as ice cream topping, in milk to make chocolate milk, or IN COFFEE to make a coffee mocha!

YUM! We had meatball sandwiches for dinner with fresh bell peppers slices on the side. To complete the meal I gave the children a little bowl of vanilla ice cream with this delicious sauce on top. I normally buy sauce, but I won't be anymore. Can't beat the savings or the flavor and I KNOW what every ingredient is on the label! Enjoy!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a winner...and my children have been asking for chocolate milk - well they just might have it tomorrow - hurray!

    Hugs to all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The syrup sound great! Would the recipe work with a sugar-free sweetner? Trying to avoid too much sugar as my hair fades from gray to white. :-)

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dad! Are you talking like Stevia or something like that? I haven't cooked much with that product, it's pretty expesive, even in bulk. It seems like Sam's has another sugar-free sweetner but the name escapes me...I would probably try it with honey first...or raw sugar.

    I would love to see your "white" hair!

    hugs to you Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing Mrs. Taffy. We loved this new syrup for chocolate milk today.

    Apollos

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!