Friday, July 31, 2009

Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies

This recipe comes from a cookbook called "Cooking and Baking with Fresh Ground Flour" by Christine Downs. I love this cookbook! It has been so helpful to me because when I first started grinding my own wheat I didn't know what in the world to do with it!! Really, I was so inexperienced when I first got married and really up to a couple years ago (still have a lot to learn!). About the only think I could make was Chocolate Chip cookies (thanks to my Grandma!). Here's the recipe: The * indicates where I made changes to the original recipe.

Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup butter
1/2 cup raw sugar *
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups white soft wheat (pastry) flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. apple pie spice*
3 cups old fashioned oatmeal
1/2 cup dried apple chips*

In a medium bowl cream together butter, sugar and brown sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Gradually add remaining pastry flour, salt, baking soda, spices, oatmeal and apple chips.
Drop by tablespoon onto un-greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.

I made a double batch. Froze a bunch of cookie plops (uncooked) and made the rest to take to the beach last Tuesday. The children really liked them and I liked them because as far as cookies go, they are pretty healthy!

Happy Baking!
Mrs. Taffy

2 comments:

  1. Yummie! I've never heard of apple slices and applie pie spice...who knew! That sounds amazing!!!!!!
    You are an amazing baker extrodinaire...tee-hee You should have your own show...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate at least 6-8 of them!
    Their good, but not as good as her warm brownies with cold ice cream and whipcream and choc. chips on top...yum!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!