Saturday, December 12, 2009

Can you say YUM?!

Oh YUM! Yum! Yum! Yum! Sorry....these are just really tasty and I basically had to physically remove my family from the kitchen because they would have eaten every single roll in a matter of 5 minutes! I have plans for these! I made roughly 2 dozen and I let them eat a dozen--hot out of the oven, the rest are for today! Here's the recipe:

Potato Bread
6 to 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used bread flour)
1/2 cup sugar (I used RAW sugar)
2 tsp. salt
2 tbls. yeast
2 cups very hot water
1 cup lukewarm mashed cooked potatoes (I used leftover mashed potatoes)
1/4 cup oil
2 eggs
butter for brushing

Mix 3 cups of the flour, the sugar, salt and yeast in your Kitchen Aide. Add water, mashed potatoes, oil and eggs. Beat on low speed for one minute. Scrapping side of bowl often. Beat on medium speed for one minute. Then add the rest of your flour and change out your mixing implement to the dough hook. I used more than 6 cups of flour, I used about 8, and I never had the dough coming off the side completely. Knead with your mixer for 8 minutes. The recipe calls for double rising, but I put the bread straight into the bread pans after the kneading. It turned out great. If you have time, you can do the double rising. Divide dough in half and put in greased bread pans. Allow to double in size. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Remove from pans and brush with butter.

Aren't they gorgeous? I'm thinkpng grilled cheese sandwiches with these beauties! So, for the rolls, I just made the same recipe and instead of forming the dough into loaves, I cut it up with my pastry knife and formed them into balls. I baked them at 375 for 15 minutes. My plan for the rolls is to make sandwiches for the my men who are going to get more firewood today. So in the end, they get to eat the rolls anyway, they just had to wait a little bit. :o) I'm going to make some more today because I still have left over mashed potatoes. I know this isn't a "healthy" bread, but I would call it a frugal bread, using left overs and cheap bread flour.
"Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who know and receive the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer." I Timothy 4:1-5
Eating with freedom and thankfulness,
Mrs. Taffy

4 comments:

  1. WOW! Those are beautiful!! I can only imagine how scrumtous they'll taste! Thank you for pointing out that scripture. I really needed to be reminded of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm, you made my mouth water! Your children will have delicious memories and the smell of home made bread will transport them back to their childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. UMMMM, YA, we can say YUMMYYYY!!! Those actually look so good they look fake! I think we'll be trying those!
    We have to go back and check on your old blog to find the cream cheese coffee braid recipe from last Christmas, that was so good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmmm...I think I can almost smell them....and loved the scripture you put in there it's one we are thinking on lately...
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!