Thursday, August 5, 2010

Broccoli Cauliflower Soup

This has got to be one of the all-time favorite soups in our household.  My children, with the exception of Laffy Taffy, beg for this soup and cheer when I make it.  I’m not kidding!  It’s from an Amish Cookbook and it’s so yummy and simple.

What you need:

2 cups broccoli

2 cups cauliflower

1/2 cup water

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. basil (I use more like 2 tbsp—we love basil!)

2 Tbsp. butter

2 1/2 Tbsp. flour

3 cups milk

017

1.  In a saucepan combine broccoli, cauliflower water and salt and basil.  Cook until tender.  (I used my big steamer and just put the basil in the water but obviously I’m doubling this if not tripling it.)

2. In a separate pan melt butter until lightly browned.  Add flour and stir until smooth.  Gradually add milk, stirring constantly to remove lumps and until thickened.  Pour over vegetable mixture and stir until blended.  Oh YUM!  I usually take my potato masher and mash up some of the veggies right in the pot too.  That way there aren’t super huge bites of cauliflower for little people to deal with.  :o)

018

We had this for lunch today with bread sticks and apple slices.  If you make it for dinner, I recommend serving it with grilled cheese sandwiches, just divine to dunk your crispy cheese sandwich into this delicious soup!

020

Enjoy!

Mrs. Taffy

P.S.  Garage Sale Treasures will be posted on Friday and I’ll update our first week of “back-to-school” on Saturday!

6 comments:

  1. That does sound good! I will have to add this to my MUST try recipes.

    YUMM YUMM!

    Looking forward to your first week of school post. Have a great Friday!

    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! Reminds me of the time I made it (from your recipe) for your family when you'd been on the road for a while. Everyone was so excited! That recipe is definately a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mom, I was thinking about that time the whole time I was writing this post! You blessed us so much, we were so sick of fast food! Just the smell of the soup gets my family all sweet and jolly! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound really good! I love soup. I'll have to try it out on my children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I put it in the crockpot?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anony-I'm not sure...I've never tried it but I bet it would work. It probably wouldnt' need all day to get thick though, maybe 4 hours instead of 8. If you try it, let me know how it goes! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!