Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Healthy Blueberry Muffins

002

This is what I made the family for breakfast this morning and I wanted to share the recipe with you.  Be forewarned though, these are not very sweet, so if you like a sweeter muffin, adjust recipe as needed. 

Preheat oven to 375.

In a small bowl put 2 eggs, 1/3 cup honey, 1 cup buttermilk and 1 tsp. vanilla-whisk together.

In a medium size bowl stir together 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1/4-1/2 tsp. nutmeg.

Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just blended.  Gently fold in 1 cup of blueberries-frozen is fine.

Spray muffin cups and fill 3/4 full.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Allow to rest in pan for 5 minutes before removing.  Serve warm and don’t expect any leftovers!  :o)

001

I doubled the recipe and from how breakfast ended I should have made a triple batch!  Oh, I also added a 1/2 cup of applesauce to add some flavor and tenderness to the muffins.

Enjoy!

Mrs. Taffy!

7 comments:

  1. Yum! We'll have to try these. I don't have any buttermilk though. I wonder if they freeze well???? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori~I bought a bag of powdered buttermilk from Azure. I'm sure they sell it other places too, you can also use sourmilk by adding 1 tbsp. of lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and letting it sit for a few minutes. I bet they would freeze well, as long as you could eat them warmed up after they thaw! I need to talk to you about Saturday too! Be looking for an email from me! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori~I bought a bag of powdered buttermilk from Azure. I'm sure they sell it other places too, you can also use sourmilk by adding 1 tbsp. of lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and letting it sit for a few minutes. I bet they would freeze well, as long as you could eat them warmed up after they thaw! I need to talk to you about Saturday too! Be looking for an email from me! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look yummy! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. But most of all, thanks for the prayers! They are much appreciated! Have a wonderfully blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look REALLY good! I'm sure that is why you don't have any left overs. :o)

    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're making me hungry! Remember those easy bran muffins we used to make from a mix we bought locally, by the lb? I miss those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing...nice touch with the coffee cup in the picture...your muffins and your coffee beat Starbucks anyday...smile and hugs to you...have a dandy of a day!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!