Saturday, August 7, 2010

Homeschool-Week 1: Success!

We’ve had a really great Back-to-School week!  I’m really surprised and thankful for this!  Everyone was so ready for some structure.  I’m such a naturally structured person, I don’t try to have a schedule, it just happens.  I’m married to a completely unstructured man!  He helps me be flexible, I help him be consistent, it’s a great combination!  I think most children lean toward liking and thriving in structure.  Mr. Taffy had none as a child, unless you consider absolutely no structure some kind of structure.  LOL!  I’m getting off on a rabbit trail…sorry!  Back to school…I took a ton of pictures to give you a peak and I’ll just post them throughout this post in no particular order.

021

Mr. Taffy and I have been getting up at 5:00 and going to the YMCA to work out.  We succeeded in going three times this week: Monday, Wednesday & Friday.  Do you know how hard it is to put contacts in that early in the morning!?  I always get up at 5 anyway, but this takes a different kind of determination!

030 026

Pretty much after we get back I start making breakfast, or on the days we didn’t go that’s around 6:15. Everybody is up and dressed by 6:30.  After breakfast and chores we start school.  This week it’s been by 8, once or twice by 8:30.  This is what the day pretty much looks like, give or take 15 minutes.

010

8:30-9:00 Tot School with Laffy Taffy

005

9:00-10:00 Kindergarten with Bubble Gum

9:30-10:45 2nd Grade with Blue Raspberry

10:45-11:30 I am usually doing something with the younger three.  This week we did play dough, played outside and did crafts during this time.  I also start lunch during this time.

020 013

11:30-lunch, chores, free time

12:30-Little People go down for quiet time and I do school with the Big Kids including:  Grammar, Spelling & Latin

1:30-2-Big Kid’s finish up the rest of their stuff

011

2:00- Big Kid’s have been going bowling everyday.  We got them passes to the bowling alley in our neighborhood, that will end at the end of this month.  This counts as PE.  I’m usually cooking or writing during this time.

2:30-Quiet time is over and little ones get a snack and healthy dose of PBS.

5:00-I start dinner with the help of Strawberry Taffy, we eat at 6, when Mr. Taffy gets home. 

008

My little people are in bed by 7:30.  Remember how early they got up? 

Phew!  That’s pretty much what we did all week and will continue to do for the rest of the school year!  I haven’t figured out when I’m going to fit in running errands…I haven’t had to do any this week.  I hate being gone right before dinner because it’s so hard for me to get back into the swing of things when I’ve been gone!

019 008 (2)

Hope you’ve enjoyed a peak into our first week!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

8 comments:

  1. Love it!! Thanks for posting. I agree that kids generally do so much better with a consistent schedule/routine. And working out at the Y three days a week is fabulous! Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great routine.
    My mornings don't start quite that early, so I'm in admiration! But, I do remember that when my two were younger that 6am was quite normal for breakfast. It's more like 7am now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive scheduling! I always tell people you could easily run a successful corporation if you didn't have a more important job to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting your day. I just wanted to add that your blog has encouraged me greatly in recent weeks. Your heart for the Lord, and the love you show your family are a blessing to read about! Thank you!

    Lisa
    schroepfer7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's wonderful. :) We also had a great first week back to school. I love schedules! With six kids still at our home structure is necessary. :) The last pictures of Laffy Taffy are adorable! :)
    Christ be with you,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Post...good job on your first week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fun filled week of learning :o)

    I usually tell myself I can not go run errands until after 2pm and I try not to be out all afternoon. I also try to do errands on Fridays or Mondays when it is less busy. It has helped me to simplify and not dawdle (which I am apt to do, stopping here and there). This is what helps me keep to my schedule and get more done in a short period of time.

    I hope you have another blessed week!

    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello friend! I thoroughly enjoyed this post! It brought a smile to my heart. I love structure to and, like Mr. Taffy, I'm married to someone who's the opposite. We're a good match! I see you're using Rosetta Stone, Draw-Write-Now and Teach your child to read ... all of which we use too. Um ... thanks to you for the "Teach your child to read" recommendation! Anyway, I enjoyed seeing all your books! Hope all's well with you and your beautiful family. Much love xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!