Monday, October 4, 2010

Making your home a haven-Fall Challenge

Making_Your_Home_a_Haven_Fall_2010

I’m joining Courtney in her challenge to Make Your Home a Haven over at Women Living Well.  I stumbled upon her blog from another blog I read, I’m just so blessed to have found it.  Even us older mom’s need reminding of making our homes a haven and loving our husband’s and children the way God loves and expects!

So the first part of this challenge is to buy a beautiful candle and light it every day, praying for peace in your home when you look at it!

002

Here’s my candle.  I bought it at Target and it smells like cinnamon, the perfect fall scent!

005

I also added a dish of candy corn to our kitchen table, this blesses my husband!  He loves candy corn!

I think the biggest challenge for me is to just keep my heart filled with peace.  Sometimes (okay that might be stating it mildly) I get easily frustrated, especially when things are chaotic and messy.  If I look into the eyes of my children, and make a point to touch them when I am talking to them or they to me, it helps me to focus on them, and not the chaos around.  I’m also focusing on smiling and laughing more, scowling and frowning less.  I’m reading to the children during lunch, which keeps the little ones quiet and eating and helps the older ones to slow down a little and not rush off.  I’ve been doing that for a couple of weeks now and I love the effect it’s had on everyone!

To see how other ladies are Making their Homes a Haven visit Courtney’s Blog.

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

10 comments:

  1. I'll join you! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you for reminding me to touch the children when we are speaking!
    I too have felt the frustration and have been trying to find ways to return to the peace and happiness, especially during chaotic, messy times. It never ceases to amaze me how that simple act makes such a huge difference!
    I am wondering, did you post this at 8am your time?(Still trying to figure out time-zones.)
    Thank you for blessing my home again! (and from across the country even!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Cookie, Yeah, I posted it at 8:00 our time. I think you are an hour aheaad, so maybe it was 9:00 your time? I see you on the webinar! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your candle and candy corn jar. I am participating in the challenge too. I am homeschooling also. I like your idea of looking them in the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving the challenge so far! I have a bunch of candles I need to use so I'm not buying a new one 'till this weekend. The many prayers I see each day as I pass the candle are really helping!

    Have a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank-you for your honesty in how difficult it can be to have your own heart filled with peace. What great reminders to take time to look at & touch our children... & to spend time in prayer for peace in our house!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel fall in the air....yes even down here. It is chilly tonight. brrrr... ha ha. I guess it must be like in the 60's. Time to pull out the sweat shirts.

    Hope all is going well with you.

    sending my love,

    Chris xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the encouragement. It helps to know I am not the only one that struggles in this area. I will be lighting my candle each morning and I will try the touching thing. I am easily overwhelmed by seeing all that lies waiting for me to handle. I really feel I lose my focus too easily.

    I also read to the kids during lunch. I think it is a strategic way to eliminate the mealtime quarrels and get in some valuable read aloud time. We love it. We just started Lewis and Clark and Me today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you Mrs. Taffy! I think we could all benefit from touching our loved ones and looking them in the eye when we are speaking to eachother! Many blessings to you and yours as we continue Courtney's fall challenge!

    Many Blessings,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful post...and Courtney's blog is delightful! I went and got my candle, that really spurred me on...I had my daughter pick the last of our flowers from the garden for a boquet to set next to the candle...looks lovely! I honestly haven't been very happy or lovely to be around lately...I don't think my children see joy in our home as of late...and I know I haven't been very good at touching or really SEEING them...for shame to waste the four gifts the Lord has given me...so off I go to find my little people and just hug them...hugs to you and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!