Saturday, March 5, 2011

Chili~Recipe

002

I’m going to share the original recipe here and then add my modifications, I’ve always gotten positive feedback on this chili even from people who claim not to like beans!  My children especially like this healthy meal.

  • 8 ounces lean ground beef (I don’t know what 8 oz. of beef means…I usually use 2 pounds for a large pot.
  • 1 cup chopped onion (The only time I’ve ever actually chopped a raw onion is when I made salsa, I just used dehydrated onions left over from Y2K, never a whole cup worth though-add what you like.)
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, minced (again, I buy it in a big jar already minced, I probably use a tablespoon.
  • 1-15 oz. can red kidney beans.  (when I make this for my family in a regular size pot, I use 2  cans red kidney beans, 2 cans black beans and 1 can of some kind of white beans-it’s prettier that way.)
  • 1-14 oz. can of tomatoes, cut up.  (Since we aren’t a big tomato family, I buy tomato sauce and usually usually use 3 cans.
  • 2-mini cans of tomato paste (this isn’t in the original recipe, I don’t know why I started adding it but it seems to make the chili thicker.
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 4 to 6 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. dried basil (I always use way more!)
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper

After you’ve cooked and drained the meat, add all the ingredients to a large Dutch oven style pot.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the beans are the softness that you like.

Serve with tortilla chips, shredded cheddar, sour cream and peanut butter cookies!  YUM!  Hearty and filling!  The left overs freeze great for hubby’s lunches too!

 

001

Chili for a Crowd

This is a really lose version of the original recipe and I don’t usually measure anything, just dump it in and taste it until it seems right.

This recipe involves those really BIG  cans that they sell at Sam’s Club.  You can see the size in the very top picture.

  • 2 HUGE cans of Kidney Beans
  • 2 Huge cans of Tomato Sauce
  • 1/2 a huge can of Tomato paste (just freeze the rest for another time)
  • 8 normal size cans of black beans
  • 4 normal size cans of white beans
  • 5 pounds or more, of lean cooked ground beef
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Chili Powder (I’m pretty sure I use almost a cup of this)
  • Basil (probably 1/2 to 1 cup)

Allow to simmer in the 22 quart turkey roasting pan for a couple hours, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t burn on the edges.  This will feed upwards of 40 people depending on how many teenage boys you have around!  Smile

 

I know my directions are a little vague, if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the recipe! That sounds a lot like how I cook, too!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds deliciouss! I am putting it on my menu for next week. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!