Friday, May 13, 2011

Oh Yum~Granola Bar Recipe

Strawberry and I are busy getting ready for a big garage sale day.  In an effort to keep my minions happy, we’ve been baking.  We made applesauce muffins, chocolate chip cookies and granola bars.  I’ve made this recipe before but for some reason they turned out especially delicious.  I think it’s because I used coconut oil instead of butter.

002

  • 3 1/2 cups dry oatmeal
  • 1 cup chopped almonds
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted (or butter)
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla
  • 1/2 cup chopped dried apples (I would have used this but I didn’t have any chopped apples.)
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Combine oats and almonds in a 15 x 10 baking pan (jelly roll pan) coated with non-stick cooking spray.  Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until oats and nuts are toasted.  Stir occasionally.

In a large bowl, combine the egg, coconut oil, honey and vanilla.  Stir in apples and cranberries, brown sugar and cinnamon.  Stir oat mixture into the bowl with the gooey stuff.

Press the mixture back into the jelly roll pan that you have sprayed again.  Bake at 350 for 13-18 minutes or until set and the edges are golden brown.  Cool before cutting and store in an air tight container. 

These granola bars are of the chewy variety!  Oh, I almost forgot, I added some white chocolate chips too, I only had about a 1/4 of a cup and they melted during stirring, but they might have added to the tasty flavor.  Remember, Trader Joe’s sells white chocolate chips without hydrogenated soy bean oil!

Now go out and make a pan and have fun garage saling with your minions!  :o)

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!