Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Back to the Books

007

We hit the books today!  Feels good to be doing school again.  I feel like I’ve had a really long break.  Even though school was happening intermittently through the spring and summer, most of my time has been dedicated to the feeding and nurturing of Marshmallow Taffy.  She turned 4 months this week!

009

I have a pretty strong conviction about my children’s education.  I think sometimes my conviction comes in the way of my so called social life.  It’s hard to say no, especially if people take it personally.  It’s not that I don’t want to do things or be places or spend time with people, it’s that I HAVE to educate my children and most of the time that just means staying home.  If I want my children to take it seriously, they have to see me taking it seriously, right?

010

015

I’ve been homeschooling since Banana Taffy was 3, though I didn’t think of it like that until he was actually supposed to be in Kindergarten.  We used to just say we’ll take it year by year.  I didn’t use to know what my style was either.  I would say eclectic if anybody asked because for the most part that was true.  But more recently I have honed it down to something a little more specific.  I would call us classically relaxed.  I really am attracted to and interested in the classic education philosophy, but I don’t believe in studying a bunch of Greek mythology and false gods.  We touch on it, but it’s not given much attention.  I also think Classical Education, if done as rigorously as I’ve understood it to be taught, would cause burn-out, especially in someone like me who didn’t really enjoy school all that much.    That’s where the relaxed term comes in. 

011

Not quite as relaxed as Cupcake though!

That’s another great thing about homeschooling~it changes as we change, it’s adaptable and alive, it grants freedoms and hedges at the same time.  Simply put~it just works for us!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

6 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about starting "homeschool" now...my oldest is 3, but he's totally ready for a bit of routine learning on top of the fun stuff we already do. I'm still researching more about Montessori, Charlotte Mason, MFW curriculum, etc...no matter what I'll be a relaxed version of it b/c it would cause me to burn out any other way. I love homeschooling though & am so thankful that I can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are off to a great start! I love the group picture of the kids. And of course Marshmallow is adorable too "reading" (er, chewing?) her book. LOL! God Bless your year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! for starting school. Like the first photo.
    Bless you guys.
    Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Classically relaxed...I like that! Educating our children is serious, but fun business. I have downgraded our outside activities, and have gotten some flax from friends about it. I know what my priorities are and I am standing firm.
    Jacquelin
    A Stable Beginning

    *blogger is not letting me comment under my google account, hmmm*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, "Clasically Relaxed". Is your son using K12, if so, how did that go?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kamilah,(such a pretty name!)We don't use K12. I don't really know much about it other than it's like public school at home and its free. Not something I'm interested in at this point. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!