This is a new recipe that I have been making pretty much weekly all summer. My children do not appreciate it much…I keep hoping at least one of them will eventually like it, but even with all my encouraging, they just don’t like it! Maybe your children will…Since it’s just me and Mr. Taffy who eat it here, it last a little while. I put it in his lunch for work all the time! YUM!
The basic ingredients for the salad include-
- Prepared vegetable flavored rotini
- chopped bell peppers
- chopped cucumbers
- carrot peelings
- cubes of hard-salami (the only way I’ll eat pork)
- You could add other stuff too, various veggies, I just used what I had from my garden.
- Maybe some sliced and roasted almonds…YUM!
Prepare the pasta, as much as you want. Once it gets to the desired texture, drain the pasta in a colander and run it under cold water , to keep the past from cooking farther. Once the pasta is cool, put it in a big bowl with the veggies. Add the dressing and toss!
- 1 Tbsp. garlic salt
- 1 Tbsp. onion powder
- 1 Tbsp. white sugar (I use my organic evaporated cane juice)
- 2 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 2 Tbsp. seal salt
Put all the ingredients in a glass jelly jar and mix. I like to triple this and keep it in my spice cupboard ready for the next salad!
Now, when you’re ready to make the dressing you’ll need:
- 1/4 cup white vinegar (I’ve used white wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar. I like the white better because the balsamic tints everything brown.)
- 2/3 cup canola or olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. dry salad dressing mix
I used my Bullet to mix it all up, but you can just whisk it up too. Or put it in a jar and shake it. So yummy! This makes an equally good regular salad dressing and I think…though I haven’t tried it, if you left it in the bullet long enough it would get thick and make a nice sandwich spread!