Saturday, September 3, 2011

Pasta Salad w/homemade dressing

This is a new recipe that I have been making pretty much weekly all summer.  My children do not appreciate it much…I keep hoping at least one of them will eventually like it, but even with all my encouraging, they just don’t like it!  Maybe your children will…Since it’s just me and Mr. Taffy who eat it here, it last a little while.  I put it in his lunch for work all the time!  YUM!

002

The basic ingredients for the salad include-

  • Prepared vegetable flavored rotini
  • chopped bell peppers
  • chopped cucumbers
  • carrot peelings
  • cubes of hard-salami (the only way I’ll eat pork)
  • You could add other stuff too, various veggies, I just used what I had from my garden.
  • Maybe some sliced and roasted almonds…YUM!

Prepare the pasta, as much as you want.  Once it gets to the desired texture, drain the pasta in a colander and run it under cold water , to keep the past from cooking farther.  Once the pasta is cool, put it in a big bowl with the veggies.  Add the dressing and toss! 

Salad Dressing-

  • 1 Tbsp. garlic salt
  • 1 Tbsp. onion powder
  • 1 Tbsp. white sugar (I use my organic evaporated  cane juice)
  • 2 Tbsp. dried oregano
  • 1 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1 tsp. dried basil
  • 2 Tbsp. seal salt

Put all the ingredients in a glass jelly jar and mix.  I like to triple this and keep it in my spice cupboard ready for the next salad!

Now, when you’re ready to make the dressing you’ll need:

  • 1/4 cup white vinegar (I’ve used white wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar.  I like the white better because the balsamic tints everything brown.)
  • 2/3 cup canola or olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. water
  • 2 Tbsp. dry salad dressing mix

I used my Bullet to mix it all up, but you can just whisk it up too.  Or put it in a jar and shake it.  So yummy!  This makes an equally good regular salad dressing and I think…though I haven’t tried it, if you left it in the bullet long enough it would get thick and make a nice sandwich spread! 

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

2 comments:

  1. MMMMM, I love Pasta salad!!
    I'm gonna have to try this one! :D
    Thanks for sharing :D
    Blessings!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really yummy. I'm surprised the kids don't like it. Try seasoned rice vinegar. I use this when I make my popular salad dressing and I am hooked. It really adds a nice flavor. Aunt C.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!