Friday, April 27, 2012

My cure for the dumps.

I’ve been feeling a little dumpy lately.  I haven’t been able to pin point what exactly is causing the feelings.  It could be a little homeschool burnout, it could be a little mommy burnout, it could be that I’m trying to do a little too much and it could be some frustration with my eating/weight loss issues.  I don’t know.  I’ve been trying to not focus on my “feelings,” trying to stay busy.

044

In that staying busy I think I’ve lost sight of a simple pleasure.  I’m such a task-oriented person by nature.  I don’t even have to make lists (though I love too) usually the tasks are ticking across my brain at lightening speed. 

041

Tonight I made myself go outside and play with my children.  I made myself sit in the sun.  I made myself enjoy the little people that fill my day with messes and tasks.

056            057

But they are so much more than messes and tasks.  They are my reason for living.  They are the reason I do the things I do each day.  Shame on me for not taking time to enjoy them, to engage them, to be with them.

034            052

So I sat out there and watched them play, cheered at their little tricks that they always want to show me, gave them challenges (like kicking themselves in the behind when they ran-Laffy Taffy thought this was a riot!).  I set up a holla-hoop jump challenge (complete with “hot lava”) and even jumped through it myself a couple times!  lol

067

060

070

047

053

It was really a lovely time and it left me feeling good, peaceful.  It made me realize that maybe my priorities are out of whack or maybe I’m just spending my energy focusing on the wrong stuff.  I can’t lose sight of what’s really important even though dirty floor and messy kitchens drive my nuts, the time I spend with my children is the “task” that matters most and is ultimately the most satisfying.

Holding on to joy,

Mrs. Taffy

6 comments:

  1. You can see how much fun it was for the children too! All those smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very timely for me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you are having "the dumps" lately! I'm sending lots of love, hugs, and encouragment to hang in there, my friend, and keep fighting the "good fight"! :) Thank you for your willingness to be transparent for the rest of us that might be "going through" as well. Your life and the lives of your children are rays of sunshine, and the light of Christ for the world, and I hope you remember that and keep that in the forefront of your mind. In the end, only what has been done for Christ shall remain! Much love, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. This is exactly what I needed to read. Thank you. I've been very task focused the last few weeks.
    Lisa C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Mrs. Taffy, I have really been struggling too!! And I do the same thing to try to pull out it! Let everything else go and play with my little ones. Going outside especially lifts my spirits. Praying for you and sending you lots of hugs!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!