During my blogging sabbatical, I spent a lot to time rearranging and reorganizing our school room. Being as I lost two of my students, three actually when I take into account that Strawberry does most of her studies in her room… where it’s quiet, eh hem. I figured it was time for a good old rearrange!
The view looking right.
The view looking left.
I love it. All the books make me happy. I would still like to replace my plastic table with a conference table. Our plastic table wiggles when somebody uses their eraser. That’s kind of annoying. Mr. Taffy is also on the look out for a cheap wall TV with a built in DVD player so I can show the kids education movies from time to time without them huddling around the lap top.
My Sonlight Books and educational DVD’s.
Here’s the fall line up for the children starting with the oldest.
- Geometry-Teaching Textbooks
- English 3 (American Literature)-Excellence in Literature
- History-Constitution 101 & 102 (Hillsdale College)
- Graphic and Web Design- Team Tree House on-line program (She’s already started this because she’s VERY interested in it.)
I put links in the text if you are interested in learning more about each of her subjects. I’ve also got an elective planned for her called: Training in Biblical Womanhood. I bought her several books that she is going to slowly read and journal her way through.
I found this awesome book holder at a garage sale. This was on my list to find for our school room!
Blue-Raspberry Taffy- 5th Grade
- 5th Grade Math-Teaching Textbooks
- History-Sonlight Core D & E (combined American History)
- Latin- Song School Latin 2
- Science- Considering God’s Creation
- Language Arts: Sonlight Core D & E (Reading), Easy Grammar, All About Reading Level 4
Strawberry Taffy-3rd Grade
- 3rd Grade Math-Teaching Textbooks
- History-Sonlight Core D & E (American History)
- Latin-Song School Latin 2
- Science-Considering God’s Creation
- Language Arts: Sonlight Core D & E (reading), Easy Grammar & All about Spelling Level 4
You can see Blue-Raspberry and Bubble Gum are pretty much doing the same curriculum, I just have different expectations for each of them. Bubble Gum read’s terrifically and won’t have any trouble with the reading, Blue-Raspberry reads terrifically too, he just doesn’t enjoy it as much. (smile)
Laffy Taffy- 1st Grade
I did things differently with Laffy than I did with my other children. I couldn’t stomach another round of Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. It’s a great book, but it’s SO boring and I’ve been through it 5 times already…ugh. So I used All About Reading PreReading with him. Usually my children are reading by the end of Kindergarten, granted he just turned 5 toward the end of kindergarten but still, he’ll be starting 1st grade and he doesn’t know how to read yet. Though he knows all the letter sounds and how to write them on demand. This year we’ll put all the pieces together and he’ll be reading like a champ before I know it!
- Reading-All About Reading Level 1
- Spelling- All About Spelling Level 1
- Math-Miquon Math Starting in the Orange book and working our way through them all, I’m not sure how long it will take, might take a couple years, might only take 1.
- History/Literature/Science-Sonlight Core A or K depending on what you’re used too. I primarily wanted a list of age appropriate reading material, to read to him and to have him start reading to me.
- Handwriting-Just a work book I got from a friend.
I’m using workboxes for him this year so he can visually see how much he needs to do and consequently know when he’s almost done.
I read on the Duggar’s Blog that during school hours the children aren’t allowed to talk about anything non-school related. I am totally considering copying this amazing idea. So much chatter and so many uninteresting questions and too much redundancy, it really makes me crazy sometimes!
The Tot School Area.
We are starting up August 5th, with a four day a week schedule so we can still enjoy the summer weather and meet our friends at the beach once a week. Until we start up, I have a BIG issue I have to pray through. I’ll share that next time. Here’s a hint:
The Battle is the Lord’s,