Saturday, February 5, 2011

Baby Update

As promised I wanted to give you an update from my last midwife appointment and all the questions I needed answers to!

I didn’t get any answers that I like.  Isn’t that a blessing?

1.  My midwife feels very strongly about the Pitocin after delivery…she says it’s because I’m a Grand Multipara Mom and because I’m over 35.  2 strikes against me apparently.  That fancy word there is just a medical term for a woman who’s had more than 5 complete pregnancy’s.  The practice/belief is that the older a woman gets and the more children she has the more tired her uterus becomes, therefore becomes a higher risk for hemorrhaging, etc.  I’m still not sure how Pitocin helps when you are hemorrhaging, and I wish that I would have asked her if I had symptoms of having a “tired uterus.”  But I didn’t address either concern, I was kinda hung up on the whole idea of an IV being stuck in my hand during delivery.  I’m a hard poke…I’m not afraid needles, but my veins are rebellious.  I was all prepared to submit to this medical practice to keep the peace, but my husband has some pretty strong opinions, so I don’t really know what’s going to happen with this now.

2.  She said it just depends…whether they tug on the placenta or not.  Hmmm…didn’t like that answer either.  If you’ve had a drug-free delivery, you know that our bodies were designed to naturally push that puppy out with one final contraction.  It’s rather disgusting, but it gets the job done and I’ve never had anything left behind! 

3.  She said the other midwives don’t discuss their “practices” of delivery with each other.  I guess it would be disrespectful or something.  She’s not likely going to be there anyway since she’s going to Haiti for two weeks in March. 

4.  And finally, discharge time.  She has a big passion about the PKU test.  Honestly, I don’t have a conviction about this one way or the other, I don’t mind it as much because it’s blood coming out, not an injection going into baby.  They  can’t do the heel stick until 24 hours after the 1st feeding.  So, if I don’t want to go back to the clinic the next day…I have to stay in the hospital at least 24 hours (plus however long it actually takes them to get there) after the first nursing before I can leave.

You can see why I’m not exactly thrilled with any of these answers!  Homebirths are so much better!  My midwife actually came to my house and do the PKU test on Laffy Taffy. 

There’s only one solution—Prayer.  I’m going to be praying over these things from now until delivery day.  God knows.  He’s got it under control.  I will submit to His will and be content.  And I will pack-A LOT!

Something's on my mental packing list:

-pillows (I have a memory foam pillow that I can’t sleep without!)

-Water (I’m going to bring my beach cooler full of our good water.)

-raw sugar and organic cream (so even if I have to drink flat coffee I can make it the way I like!)

-Lots of food.  Smile

-My lap top-I need to find out if the hospital has wi-fi.  Then I can blog…I know die-hard right?

On to other news.  On a happy note, baby is growing right along!  NO signs, whatsoever of a growth issue because of the two vessel cord.  She is still a she and she is busy!  Wiggly!  They said she weighs about 4.5 pounds right now and she’s head down!  Keeping focused on the prize (holding my precious baby) and the Source of Life (God Almighty) will get me through this even if it’s not ideal!

And now for a few pictures…

001

Bedroom re-arranged and changing table set up.  It’s even loaded with newborn clothes and little socks and hats.

002

My basket of diaper supplies.  Eventually I will unpack this and have the stuff on the changing table, this is just a little neater for the moment.  In the wet wipe box is cloth wet wipes.  I like to have a pack of new born disposables for those stain-causing first poops!  I bought a couple cute diaper covers too, I didn’t have any newborn diaper covers in my stash, I must have had the cheap Gerber kind with Laffy Taffy and thrown them away.

003

There are two dresses hanging here, the brown one came from a garage sale…I bought it before I was pregnant because I just couldn’t pass it up!  $1.00

005

These are the adorable flannel receiving blankets my mom made for the baby.  See the ribbon tags in the corner?  So cute and so soft!

006

And look how good they go with the quilt I made!

007

All my little girly blankets in one place.

004

And finally…

I have ultra sound pictures too, but I’m not going to share them.  I think she looks weird.  The images aren’t very clear and the bones are making strange shadows and she looks like she has a beak…you’ll just have to wait for a real picture, of her real face!  Sorry!  I’m fairly confident she doesn’t actually have a beak. lol

This post has gotten pretty long, thanks for sticking around with me!  It won’t be much longer now!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

9 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that all is well with baby and to see you're very well prepared for your sweet little one's arrival! I just wanted to share that the Pitocin given after delivery would cause the uterus to contract, just like it does when they use it for women that are being induced. When you deliver, your uterus contracting helps it to get smaller, and thereby also helping to clot and avoid hemorraging. Of course, this is not a medical opinion by any means, I just thought I would share my understanding of it. I've never had to use Pitocin after delivery, but then I've only had five babies, so maybe they would have done that if we had more. Anyway, so good to hear that you're doing well and leaning on God's strong arms during these times! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa! I figured that much about the Pitocin, just wasn't sure how it actually stopped the bleeding...it just stops because it's smaller? Seems like something's missing there. Maybe it just slows the bleeding down? I like how God made our uteruses to contract through breast feeding, I guess they just don't feel like that's fast enough! Oh well! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your attitude is good! A lot of that stuff (like the pitocin) is probably a liability issue for the hospital. Personally I don't want to see you taking any chances. :) I LOVE seeing all the baby stuff out and waiting! I bet you and the girls look at everything a lot and imagine your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be praying for you! I wouldn't like those answers either!

    Cute, cute baby things. I can't wait to see pics of your new sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not much longer for you to see your sweet little blessing, how exciting! I had 5 c-sections so not sure about the Pitocin, I have only had it once with my first but that was to induce contractions, and that went horribly wrong. Sending prayers your way and I can't wait to see your newest taffy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, since I just had a baby there last year, I thought I would share with you... I also have drug free deliveries but they are pretty insistant about the Petocin shot after delivery but there was no IV it was just a shot they gave me after he was born but before the placenta was delivered. Did they tell you it would be in an IV? I also got a shot for being RH negative after he was born and didn't have an IV, so, it would really surprise me if you needed an IV for just that.
    If you want my honest opinion, I think it is a speed thing for the doctors. The petocin makes it happen faster, where naturally I think it can be something like a 30 minute wait for that last contraction to expel the placenta and the petocin kicks in right away. I don't know for sure, but I think the whole point of it is to expel the placenta not to get your uterus back in shape.
    They did not pull on the placenta or anything like that. She just waited and chit chatted with the baby doc, nurse, Jim, and me until it expelled on it's own and then checked it to be sure it was all there, which it was.

    I did not want to stay in the hospital either but I decided that it was actually a blessing because for those hours right after he was born, I was able to really concentrate on only him. I could have worried about the rest of them at home, or been there to take care of them, been irritated that I was at the hospital or whatever, but I am grateful to have been able to spend that time with him since really, time with just him and I hasn't happened since. The nice thing was is that they really left me alone for the most part since I am a "seasoned mom".
    So excited for you and looking forward to those first beautiful photos! {{HUGS}} Christina

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Christina! Well, the midwife did say that the shot won't be as effective...she did mention it though and I could probably get her to agree to it if I tried hard enough. :o) Did you deliver at Methodist or closer to home? Hospitals are SOOO boring! I know I'm being a baby about it! lol I wonder if they have cable? I could watch HGTV all day! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this kind of post, so great to hear about everything and see what you have set up. I hope there is time for at least one more "nesting" post before baby comes. :) Would you let us know if you have that crazy burst of energy near the end and get all kinds of household things done? I am excited to see the new baby and I will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had that same bouncy seat for Ana... I loved it...oh and so did she! ha ha. I gave it to a single mom whenever I decided to give all my baby stuff away. :(

    I am sure it will go just wonderfully and when you have little girl in your arms all concerns and everything else won't matter. I can't wait to see her though. Yay!! So excited for you.

    Ok..take care... I gotta run. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!