Monday, November 21, 2011

Preparing for Thanksgiving

009

I spent some time over the weekend planning how I was going to get everything done that I need to do for Thanksgiving and the days following.  I’m going to share with you how I did that exactly and what I got done this Monday before Thanksgiving.

First off (Saturday), I started by getting out all my recipes and lists that had anything to do with our Thanksgiving Meal.  I went through each menu item and took inventory on the ingredients.  If I didn’t already have what I needed, I wrote it on my list for whatever store I was shopping at.  I like to have one piece of paper with subtitles of the places I am planning on shopping.  So in this case, one column for Trader Joe’s and one column for Costco.

After I finished making my lists, I pulled off 5 lined posted notes and stuck them to the table.  I gave each post-it a title:  Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Take to Friend’s house.

Then I went through my menu and wrote various dishes down on each day.

Monday-

  • Make Bread for Sandwiches

Tuesday-

  • Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
  • Cranberry Chutney
  • Coconut Bon-Bons
  • Apple Pie x 2
  • Quiche for Wednesday

Wednesday-

  • Pumpkin White Chocolate Cheese Cake
  • Twice Baked Smashed Potatoes
  • Deviled Eggs
  • Wild Rice Casserole

Thursday-

  • Turkey
  • Butternut Squash w/Thyme
  • Steamed Carrots
  • Honey Glazed Rolls
  • Gravy
  • Quinoa Salad
  • Soak Beans for Friday (Mr. Taffy and I will be gone all day, but I still have to feed my little people!  They are going to have Honduras Burritos.)

Take to Friends (We are actually going visiting twice, so I have two lists that say the same thing with subtitles.)

Thursday-

  • Coconut Bon-Bons
  • Pumpkin Cheesecake
  • Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
  • Gifts
  • Hostess Gift

Saturday-

  • Turkey and Cheese Braid x 2
  • Apple Pie and Whip Cream

024

In case I forgot to mention it, we aren’t doing school this week.  haha!

So today being Monday I got really ambitious and made bread and a whole bunch more.  I’ll show you!

008

I made 4 loaves of bread and 2 dozen of these knot rolls.  The bread is for leftover turkey sandwiches and for lunches this week.  The rolls are for leftovers too.  I made some thanksgiving rolls last week and I’ll be making another kind on Thursday.

010

Ready for the Freezer!

009

These cinnamon rolls are raw, I covered them and stuck them in the freezer.  Once they are frozen I’ll bag them up and save them for the weekend after Thanksgiving-for a special “I love my family” treat.

011

A single batch of granola, for me.  I love a couple tablespoons mixed in yogurt for a mid-morning snack.

012

Granola Bars for the kids to snack on this week.  Isn’t if funny how people still have to eat everyday, even though I’m spending everyday getting ready for a one big day of eating?  Hmmm….Smile

013

Gluten (and soy) free Peanut Butter Cookies for the boy’s lunches.  This is my mom’s recipe that I’ll share soon.

004

And finally, Blue-Raspberry made Trail Mix for his siblings.  He loves to make this and he’s so good at it.  We only use a little bit of M & M’s, but the rest is peanuts, almonds, raisins and craisins.

008

You can see a little bit of my mess in the background too.

The last thing I did was grind enough wheat for the rest of my baking needs.  Phew!  My back hurts, but I’m very happy and I have a nice sense of accomplishment.  Off to make dinner!

Joyfully,

Mrs. Taffy

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see how the pros do it! My little family shouldn't be a very big struggle! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one busy lady! We are going ultra simple this year which I am looking forward to. Tomorrow is pie baking and cranberry sauce day. The children will help and we'll have fun cooking together. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!